ABC-Animal - Environmental Chronicle
You Live With Viruses, Bacteria, and Parasites! What to do?
Throughout the world, many germs (viruses, bacteria and parasites...) cause serious health problems, which can even lead to death, in all living beings, including people.
Basic Rules for a Healthy Environment
Don't panic! It is impossible and not even desirable to live in a sterile environment. To prevent the proliferation of germs in food and the environment, we just need to follow a few simple rules.
* Always keep food either hot or cold, and as little as possible at room temperature, since this is bacteria's favorite climate.
- in a conventional oven at 60°C: bacteria stop multiplying, but some of them survive
- danger zone: between 4°C and 60°C: bacteria stay active and proliferate
- in the fridge between 0°C and 4°C: multiplication slows down
- in the freezer at -18°C: they stop multiplying but some of them survive.
* Always store your lunch in a cold place
* Check the temperature of the fridge and freezer regularly
* As needed, always wash your hands with a disinfectant soap and lather well for 30 seconds.
* Always disinfect the surfaces in the house (bathroom, kitchen, including knives, utensils and dishcloth rack) with good detergents. As needed, add bleach (solution of 5 ml of bleach in 750 ml of water).
* Don't let insects such as flies and mosquitoes hang around in your house, since they spread germs everywhere with their legs and bites.
No need to panic, clean deep instead!
Caroline Fortin, D.V.M.